Plantronics Unveils Award-Winning Next Generation Voyager PRO UC Headset
The First and Only Intelligent Headset System to Combine Smart Sensors with Exceptional Audio Technology and Enable Intuitive Communication across Devices
SANTA CRUZ, CA - January 26, 2010 - Plantronics, Inc. (NYSE: PLT) today extended its 50-year legacy of developing breakthrough communication innovations with the introduction of the next generation award-winning VoyagerTM PRO UC Bluetooth® headset. Voyager PRO UC revolutionizes mobile phone and PC communications through smart sensor technology. It uses advanced hardware and software that seamlessly eliminate communication complexity by detecting presence, integrating with your PC applications, and dramatically enhancing the headset experience.
“Unified communications is bringing together different communications modalities and devices. We will move between our PCs, mobile phones, and deskphones seamlessly,” said Bob Hafner, managing vice president of Mobile and Client Computing, Gartner. “Just as the introduction of email revolutionized enterprise communication 40 years ago, unified communications is revolutionizing communications and collaboration today and unifying the PC, mobile phone, and deskphone. Today, no one would be expected to work for a company without email and seven to ten years from now business professionals won’t want to work for a company without unified communications.”
Simply Smarter CommunicationsTM
Plantronics’ smart sensor technology in the Voyager PRO UC headset transforms the end-user experience for mobile phone and PC communications.
- Auto Answer: Easily answer mobile phone and PC calls simply by placing the headset on your ear - no buttons to press, applications to open or voice commands required.
- Smart Call Transfer: With the smart sensor technology, the headset now knows when it is being worn and routes the call appropriately: when a call comes in and the headset is not easy to access, the audio is automatically routed to the phone so there is no fumbling with the phone and missing calls. Calls are automatically transferred to the headset when it is put on.
- Auto Call Button Lock: The Voyager PRO UC eliminates accidental dialing by locking the call button when the headset is not being worn.
- Auto Pause for Streaming Media: The Voyager PRO UC supports listening to streaming media, including music, podcasts and turn-by-turn navigation, as well as recorded webinars via A2DP technology. The smart sensor technology automatically pauses streamed media from mobile phones and PCs when the headset is taken off and automatically resumes the stream when the headset is put back on.
Simply Smarter CommunicationsTM
Plantronics has developed intelligent software that further integrates the mobile and PC communications experience through the new Voyager PRO UC. The software is customizable, so users can easily set personal preferences for their PC-based communications.
- Smart Presence: Voyager PRO UC brings a new level of intelligence across PC and mobile phone communications by integrating with PC softphone clients. For example, when you’re on a mobile phone conversation, Voyager PRO UC automatically informs applications such as Skype® or Microsoft® LyncTM, you are busy and changes your presence status to busy, so contacts know to not interrupt you. Similarly, if you are on a Skype call, Voyager PRO UC updates your status on Microsoft Lync.
- Escalate IM to Voice: Voyager PRO UC enables you to effortlessly switch from an instant message chat to a voice conversation by simply placing the headset on your ear.
“For years, mobile calling and computer-based communication services like Skype or Microsoft Lync have existed in silos,” said Renee Niemi, senior vice president of Communications Solutions at Plantronics. “The Plantronics Voyager Pro UC unifies and simplifies communications for today’s connected and increasingly distributed workforce by enabling accurate availability information and delivering intuitive features like smart call transfer. For 50 years, Plantronics has revolutionized the way we communicate and today’s announcement represents our longstanding commitment to innovation and making smarter communications a reality.”
The Plantronics Voyager PRO UC includes a new ultra-portable mini-USB Bluetooth® adaptor which provides wideband audio for PC conversations and software that enables interaction between the PC and the mobile phone.
Industry Leading Audio Quality
The Plantronics Voyager PRO UC headset delivers world-class noise-cancellation with AudioIQ2 technology, its award-winning digital signal processing technology is enhanced by a unique adjustable dual-microphone boom. Plantronics Voyager PRO features three layers of WindSmart® technology to minimize wind distortion.
Voyager PRO also delivers unmatched inbound audio quality to ensure every word is heard on both sides of a conversation. It features a custom speaker that delivers full-spectrum audio so conversations are richer and more vibrant. The adaptive 20-band equalizer delivers distortion-free audio and works with AudioIQ2 technology to automatically adjust sound to comfortable levels based on the noise level around you to ensure maximum audibility.
Voyager PRO UC delivers wideband audio during PC-based conversations for heightened speech clarity for fuller, richer conversations.
Plantronics Voyager PRO UC offers compatibility with leading communication clients from Avaya®, Cisco®, IBM® and Skype® and is available in a version Optimized for Microsoft Lync and Office Communicator.
Pricing and Availability
The Plantronics Voyager PRO UC, including the new mini-USB Bluetooth adapter for maximum portability and software that enables interaction between the PC and mobile phone has an MSRP of $199.95 and is available in the US starting today and in Europe and Asia in February 2011.
Please visit www.plantronics.com/voyagerprouc to learn more.
This release contains forward-looking statements within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended, including statements relating to Unified Communications (”UC”) and our Voyager Pro UC products, including timing of product availability. Forward-looking statements are based on management’s current expectations and beliefs and involve risks and uncertainties that may cause actual results to differ materially from those contemplated by such statements. Among the factors that could cause actual results to differ materially from those contemplated are: (i) UC solutions may not be adopted with the breadth and speed in the marketplace that we currently anticipate; (ii) manufacturing or other production delays and (iii) our plans are dependent upon adoption of our UC solution by major platform providers such as Microsoft, Cisco, Avaya, Alcatel, and IBM, and we have a limited ability to influence such providers with respect to the functionality of their platforms, their rate of deployment, and their willingness to integrate their platforms with our solutions. For more information concerning these and other possible risks, please refer to the Company’s Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission on June 1, 2010, quarterly reports filed on Form 10-Q, particularly the sections entitled “Risk Factors,” “Certain Forward-Looking Information” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations”, and other filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission as well as recent press releases. Plantronics undertakes no obligation to update publicly any forward-looking statements to reflect new information, events or circumstances after the date they were made, or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events.